Saturday 17 July 2010

Something savoury to salve my conscience...



I've been invited to a garden party today, an afternoon of high tea style cakes and nibbles. It will be hosted by a wonderful cook whose sweet treats I've enjoyed before so I know I'll be be tempted to eat more sugar than I should, but why not?

As a salve to my conscience for such an unhealthy supper, I thought I should eat something healthy and very savoury for my lunch, and came up with this:

Cod with warm roasted vegetable & chickpea salad

2 cod fillets
1 can of chickpeas
2 sweet peppers, red, orange or yellow
1 large courgette
half a bulb of garlic, separated into cloves but not peeled
1 red onion
1 tbsp harissa paste
Juice of one lemon
2 tbsp olive oil

1) Chop the vegetables into 2cm cubes (or 1cm wedges for the onion), trying to create uneven shapes so they don't stick to the pan when they roast. Drizzle over 1 tbsp of the oil, lightly season, and then roast at 200c / 400f / gas 6 for 30-40 mins. Stir halfway through cooking to help them cook evenly.

2) Mix the drained chickpeas, lemon juice, remaining oil and harissa in a bowl, then add the vegetables once ready.

3) To cook the cod, heat a heavy based frying pan until smoking hot. Lightly oil and season the fish before placing skin side down in the pan, then cook for 2-3 minutes, until the skin is crisp. Turn, and cook for a further 1 minute, then serve on a bed of the vegetables and chickpeas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...