Sunday 27 February 2011

Creamy courgette, leek and lemon risotto


I came up with this risotto after a trip to Carluccio's where I ate their delicious Penne Giardiniera with grated courgette, chilli and deep-fried spinach balls.  Very, very tasty and highly recommended!

Although I generally think of risotto as a rather summery dish - and this one in particular with it's light lemony zing - it also has a creaminess that works as comfort food.  And while there's still a nip in the morning air I need a bit of that.

Serves 2

200g arborio rice
300g grated courgette
the grated rind of a lemon
1 litre of vegetable stock
1 small leek, very finely diced
50g butter and a tsp of vegetable oil
half a glass of white wine
40g grated parmesan
2 tbsp cream cheese or mascarpone
a dozen finely chopped chives

1) Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a frying pan and cook the courgette for a few minutes until soft, then set aside.

2) Heat the remaining butter and the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the leek till soft and translucent.  Add the rice and lemon rind and fry for a couple of minutes more.  Add the wine and allow to reduce.

3) Keep the stock on a gentle simmer on an adjacent hob on your stove, then add it to the rice a ladle at a time, stirring often until all the liquid has been absorbed.  Then add another ladle, and so on, and so on.  When the rice is soft but still has a little resistance in the centre, add the cream cheese, chives, parmesan and courgette and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Where's the Lemon??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out - I've corrected the recipe! x Irv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its always good to learn tips like you share for blog posting. As I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if its work for me too.
    how to cook basmati rice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...